Last updated on September 11th, 2022 at 05:44 pm
Is your income tax refund still pending?
Step 1 – Verify whether your bank account is validated & nominated for a refund
- Login with valid credentials on the Income Tax Portal
- Go to My Profile > My Bank Accounts
- Check whether your bank account is validated.
- If it’s validated check whether it is nominated for refund.
Note: If the bank account is not added or there is an error in validation/validation has failed please remove the details of the bank account and try adding the correct bank account details again properly. An income-tax refund will not be credited to your account without bank validation.
Step 2 – Check whether ITR is processed with a refund or not
Income Tax refund shall be issued by CPC only when the processing of ITR is completed.
- If ITR is processed go to Step 5 and
- If ITR is processed and still refund not received go to Step 3.
Step 3 – Check whether ITR is processed with a refund or not
After logging in to the Income Tax portal, on the Dashboard, go to e-File>Income tax returns > View filed returns> View details. Here you can see whether
- “Refund issued” with the mode of payment, refund amount, and date of clearance
- “Refund failure” with the reason for failure, date of communication, and email ID
- “Refund kept on hold” with the link for response to outstanding demand, date of communication, and email ID in case of demand outstanding for previous years. (Go to Step 4)
Step 4 – Verify whether there is an outstanding demand
Refunds are not processed when there is an outstanding demand. So check whether there is any outstanding demand for previous years.
Go to Dashboard>Pending Actions>Response to Outstanding Demand. Provide the response to outstanding demand
- If you agree with the demand then pay the outstanding demand.
- If you do not agree with the demand then provide reasons and justify the same by adding attachments if any.
Based on your response the return will be processed.
Step 5 – Check Refund Status
Go to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html The following details will be available there
- If the refund is credited then details of the bank account number, mode of payment, and date of credit.
- If the refund is rejected then the reason for rejection. ie It is due to incorrect details or it is adjusted against outstanding demand of previous years.
You may also like:
- How to Request for Refund Re-issue (in case of refund failure)?
- Next installment of advance tax of income tax is due on 15th Sep 2022
- How to pre-validate a bank account?
- Did you e-verify your ITR?
- What to do if your bank has merged into another bank?
- Alternate tax regime u/s 115BAC of the Income Tax Act
- Applicability of interest u/s 234A,234B and 234C
Disclaimer: The above content is for general info purpose only and does not constitute professional advice. The author/ website will not be liable for any inaccurate / incomplete information and any reliance you place on the content is strictly at your risk.
Follow us on Social Media by clicking belowFollow @financepost_in