Aadhaar-based instant PAN
Applicable only for Individuals
Permanent Account Number (PAN)
PAN (Permanent Account Number) is a ten-digit alphanumeric unique number. It is issued by the Income-tax department based on the applicable Income Tax Act & Rules. Quoting of PAN is mandatory for various financial transactions.
Aadhaar-based instant PAN
The income-tax department has launched a facility where PAN will be allotted on a near real-time basis. If one has a valid Aadhaar number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The applicant will be allotted e-PAN in an electronic format which will be digitally signed.
Important features of instant PAN
- One can apply for Aadhar-based instant PAN only in case the mobile number is registered with Aadhar.
- Aadhar number of the Individual should not be linked with any other PAN. As per section 272B(1) of the Income Tax Act, A penalty of Rs.10,000 is levied if a person is having more than one PAN.
- This is a paperless facility of alloting PAN, it does not require submission of any document anywhere.
- Aadhar based instant PAN facility does not require any cost to be incurred by the applicant.
- One does not need a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) for the application of PAN through this facility. PAN is allotted on the basis of Aadhaar based e-KYC.
- The address on the PAN will be the same as of Aadhar.
How to apply for Instant PAN?
- To apply for PAN, go to incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- Click on the tab “Instant PAN through Aadhar”.
- One can refer to the Guidelines and FAQs given there for better understanding.
- Click on the tab ‘Get New PAN’.
- Enter your Aadhar Number in the space provided, enter the captcha, and click on confirm.
- The applicant needs to enter the OTP received on the registered mobile number to validate.
- An acknowledgment number will be generated which will be required until the PAN is allotted.
- The applicant will receive a text message successful allotment of PAN on the registered mobile number and a copy of the PAN in PDF format will be sent on the registered email address.
Note: If anyone desires to have a physical copy of PAN (smart card) then can apply separately after the PAN is allotted.
Validity of e-PAN/Electronically issued & Digitally signed e-PAN/Aadhar based instant PAN
- CBDT Notification dated 19th November 2018 – Amendments were made in sub-rule (6) of Rule 114 of the Income Tax Rules, 1962 & in clause (c) in the Explanation occurring after sub-section (8) of Section 139A of Income Tax Act, 1961. – Check the PDF format of PAN
- CBDT Notification dated 27th December 2018 – Ministry of Finance has duly recognized e-PAN as valid as it contains a QR code that will have demographic details of PAN applicants. These details can be accessed through a QR code reader – Download the Official QR Code Reader for e-PAN
What is the due date of linking PAN with Aadhar?
It is mandatory to link PAN with Aadhar. The due date for the same has been extended many times. The government has announced the new deadline for linking PAN with Aadhar as 31st March 2021. If it is not linked PAN is likely to become inoperative from 1st April 2021.
Click below to receive regular updates
You may also like:
- How to apply for PAN online?
- Specimen for Affidavit for HUF PAN CARD application
- Steps to fill Form 49A